Wednesday, June 24, 2009

Marinated Cucumbers and Onions

Every time I visit my family, my mom always asks what I would like to eat. At this point a dozen comfort foods instantly pop into my mind, ranging from the most simple (mashed banana pancakes, served with powdered sugar and syrup) to the more extravagant. This year I asked for every single one of those summer fruits that I'm too cheap to buy on my own tab. I've requested all sorts of things, phyllo dough and quinoa and sweet summer corn and, ok I'll admit it, loads of peanut butter and dark chocolate. Also fresh tomatoes, dates, tofu, and please some homemade enchiladas. You name it, I've asked for it.


Except I never ask for her to stock up on cucumbers or onions. Despite my overlooking it though, this simple salad always gets made when I come for a visit. In fact, I can hardly remember a trip to Texas that didn't include a few days when cucumbers and onions were on my lunch plate. This salad is even easier than pie - most of the ingredients you'll probably have on hand, and it takes no more than five minutes to have the whole thing in the fridge marinating. But don't be deceived, it's tastier than any oil-soaked lettuce concoction I can come up with. One word of warning, though, bring on the mouthwash - this is a strong 'un.

Marinated Cucumbers and Onions
from my mother

Serves 4

Ingredients

1 large cucumber, peeled and sliced thinly
1 large yellow onion, sliced thinly into rings or slivers
1/2 cup white vinegar
2 tbsp. flavored vinegar, such as red wine, balsamic, or tarragon, optional
1 tbsp. vegetable oil
salt to taste
pepper to taste, optional (I usually leave this out)

Method

In a shallow, flat dish, combine the sliced cucumber and onion. In a separate bowl, mix together the vinegars and oil. Pour over the vegetables so that all of the pieces are well-coated and marinating in the excess liquid. You may need to add extra vinegar in order to completely soak the vegetables. Lightly sprinkle wth salt and pepper if desired. Cover the dish, and let the salad marinate for at least three hours in the refridgerator. This recipe is even better the day after it is prepared. Serve cold.

No comments:

Post a Comment